- The basic check list for moving into a new house
- Houston checklist #1: 8 weeks before
- Houston checklist #2: 6 weeks before
- Houston checklist #3: 4 weeks before
- Houston checklist #4: 2 weeks before
- Houston checklist #5: 1 week before
- Final Houston moving checklist item: moving day
Houston moving checklist will become a great helping hand in rush hours while moving. Read more about companies and organizing here.
The basic check list for moving into a new house
If you have decided to change your home and move to another state or even country, you must realize that it is not an easy task. We have designed a day-to-day checklist or schedule in order to help you with a moving process and typical things that may occur in two months before a settled date.
Houston checklist #1: 8 weeks before
- Do a research. Start examining your destination location, find the best place for moving in. Of course, you have to pay attention to the nearest schools, childcare, hospitals, etc. The more research you do, the better place for relocation you will find.
- Collect records. Make sure you have transferred all records to your new location. Visit offices and ask for copies of legal and financial papers.
- Get quotes. Make up your personal moving budget. Think about how much you can spend for service.
Houston checklist #2: 6 weeks before
- Inventory items. Think how to deliver valuable and heavy items, make a list of items that you do not want to move. You can arrange a garage sale or sell stuff online you do not need.
- Make a list of things that will be not moved. Frozen foods, some cleaning supplies, and other things can be delivered beforehand. Order a travel for your pets and try getting a car for plants. Some companies have a detailed list of do-not-ship items, contact your company to get more about it.
- Start packing. You can already start packing items out of essentials list. There is a piece of advice: make a notification on each box with contents. Printable lists can also inform movers about the content and it will help with loading.
Houston checklist #3: 4 weeks before
- Reserve your move. Call a local moving company and tell them about your plans.
- Visit your utilities. Call different departments and inform them about new addresses. Here is a list of them:
- Cell phone
- Cable/satellite, internet and landline phone
- Trash collection
- Take care of your auto. Your car must be ready to travel for a long distance, so visit a shop and ask whether some service needed.
Houston checklist #4: 2 weeks before
- Update address. It is the time to visit a Post Office and ask them to hold your mail in a new town or city. Do not forget to inform other people about the moveout.
- Notify other businesses. Think about all possible services or businesses that might need your new address, leave a message for them.
- Inform government offices. It is a must do step:
- City/County Tax Assessor
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Social Security Administration
- State/Federal Tax Bureau (IRS)
- Veterans Administration
- Find a reliable parking place. You will need some place to store all equipment if you do not have enough space - obtain parking permits.
- Plan meals. Prepare meals with any perishable food you may have in the last week.
Houston checklist #5: 1 week before
- Reviews your planner. As a rule, there are always some changes in the list, so you can form a new one using previous templates.
- Prepare for payment. Make a call to your bank and say that you are going to pay with a debit or a credit card.
- Make an essentials box. Think about things you might need just at your arrival. Tip: load this box last so you can unload it first.
- Pack for travel. Make sure you have packed everything you need during shipping to your new home.
- Measure furniture sizes. It is important to have enough space to place all items in a room, make sure that all large items will fit the door and will be installed on places correctly.
Final Houston moving checklist item: moving day
- Clear a path. Check again if nothing is blocking the way, remove unnecessary items, place carpets, floor and door to avoid scratching.
- Do a final check. Make a simple walkthrough, maybe you have missed something.
- Clean and inspect. Make sure that everything is working properly before the arrival.
- Unload stuff and put everything in the building.
- Get settled. After moving get all mail from the post, in some provinces, you have to take a new driving license and tags, find out more about gas stations, groceries, malls, shops, etc.
We hope that this guide of making an optimal checklist will help you to overcome all troubles while moving and you will be delighted with your relocating.